This post has already been read 2365 times!
Sharad Purnima! The Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped on Sharad Purnima!
Sharad Purnima, also known as Kojagiri Purnima. Sharad purnima is a widely celebrated Hindu festival. The term Sharad signifies the Sharad Ritu or autumn season of the year. As per a report by astrospeak, the festival carries special significance as Goddess Lakshmi was born on this day and if devotees stay awake all night offering special prayers to Maa Lakshmi, she blesses them with wealth and prosperity, even if there is no ‘Lakshmi yog’ (no fortune) in their ‘kundli’. The astrospeak report further adds that on this day, Lord Krishna began his Raasleela with Radha and his Gopis. It is said that the gods who had to be given the fruits of their merits were born as Gopis to enjoy the divine ‘leelas’ of Krishna.
According to a report, on sharad purnima, as the moon and the earth are very close to each other, the moon rays shower healing properties which nourish the body and the soul. Day of Sharad Purnima is an only day in a year in which moon comes out with all sixteen Kalas.
These sixteen different ‘kalas’ are said to make a perfect human personality. The report also says that the moon drips Amrit on planet earth, this day. It is believed that on Sharad Purnima Amrit drips from the light of the moon and which have miraculous medical and nourishing properties. Therefore the moonlight on Sharad Purnima is believed to possess amazing medical and nourishing properties. Considering this, believers put cold milk mixed with rice flakes out in the moon and consume it the next day to absorb all powers showered from the moon. Also Some believers cook Kheer under the Moon light!
Puja Vidhi & Time:
Time : Evening 6PM (Indian Time Zone) to Midnight 12PM
Sharad Purnima is known for worship Maa Lakshmi, it is believed that if devotees perform puja or vart for Maa Lakshmi, Maa fulfills their all wishes. Devotees have to take bath early and decorate idol of Maa Lakshmi and lighting a dia among Maa Lakshmi and chanting the mantra. People make Keer as a Prashad and open their fast in the evening with milk and rice flakes or simple as with kheer .
According to Hindu mythology, Lord Krishna’s Raasleela began with Sharad Purnima so the day is known as Raas Purnima. Kartik month of Hindu calendar starts from Sharad Purnima. Some people believe to take bath early in the morning at 4 o’clock during whole month or Kartik.
Top 5 Kheer Recipes For Sharad/Kojagiri Purnima!
Now as we know Kheer(A Indian Sweet which is made by Milk) Is important part of sharad Purnima which is also known as Kojagiri Purnima. So here we are presenting best of the best top 5 Kheer Recipes for SHARAD PURNIMA Festival!
Basundi is an Indian sweet which is mostly made in Gujarat, Maharashtra and Karnataka. This version of Kheer is very popular for Sharad Purnima!
INGREDIENTS(As for 1Cup)
- 4 cups full fat milk or 1 liter full fat milk
- 4 green cardamoms (also know as hari elaichi) – (in powder form)
- 13 -15 cashewsNuts (also known as kaju in hindi)
- 13-15 pistachios(also known as pista)
- 13-15 almonds(badam) – (all dy fruits must be copped)
- 6-7 strands of saffron (also know as kesar)
- Pinch of nutmeg powder(also known as jaiphal powder)
- a few strands of saffron for garnish
HOW TO cook:
- boil milk in a thick bottomed saucepan(kadai). stir and mix well.
- Stir until milk becomes half.
- Add sugar and stir nicely for 4-6Min.
- scrape the milk solids from the sides and the cream collected on the top and add it back to the basundi mixture.
- overall cooking takes about 20 to 25 minutes on a low flame.
- Now Add all Dryfruits, nutmeg, Cardamom powder and saffron.
- stir and simmer for 5 minute.
- serve basundi hot, warm or chilled garnished with some saffron strands.
2 -Boondi Kheer For Sharad Purnima.
This kind of kheer is also popular on kojagiri/sharad purnima. Most of the believers Cook this kheer under the light of moon on very pure occasion of sharad purnima.
- 3/4 cup readymade sweet boondi,
- a few saffron (Kesar) Strands,
- 1 tsp warm full-fat milk
- 5 cups full-fat milk
- 5-6 tbsp sugar (according the sweetness you want)
- 1/2 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp cardamom (elaichi) Powder
- 1 tbsp chopped Pistachios
How to cook:
- Combine the saffron strands and 1 tsp of milk in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan and boil on a medium flame till the milk reduces to half its original quantity. While
- stirring occasionally and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Add the boondi, saffron-milk mixture, rose water, cardamom powder and pistachios and mix gently.
- Then refrigerate for atleast 2 hours and serve chilled.
3- Shahi/Paneer(cottage cheese) Kheer for sharad Purnima.
INGREDIENTS (For 1 Cup)
- 3 cups full fat whole milk or 750 ml
- ½ cup grated paneer (also known as cottage cheese)
- 5-6 tbsp sugar(again according the sweetness you want)
- Powder of 3-4 green cardamoms(choti elaichi)
- 13 to 15 unsalted almonds (also know as badam in India) ,
- 12 to 15 unsalted pistachios (also known pista in hindi) ,
- 14 to 15 unsalted cashews (also known as kaju in hindi),
- 5 to 6 strands of saffron (kesar) ,
- 1 tbsp rose water ( 1 drop of rose essence if you don’t have rose water)
HOW TO cook:
- Take milk in a wide bottomed pan on a medium flame.
- When the milk comes to a boil, lower the flame and simmer the milk till it thickens a bit. for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Keep stirring the milk at intervals when its simmering. then add sugar and continue to cook further for 5 minutes.
- Stir and then add chopped dry fruits (almonds, pistachios, cashews), cardamom powder and saffron. simmer for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add paneer(cottage cheese).
- Simmer for 2 minutes on a low flame till the paneer gets cooked. Then add rose water & stir.
- Serve paneer kheer hot, warm or chilled.
4- Apple Kheer for Sharad Purnima
- 1 peeled and grated apple,
- 1 tbsp ghee (butter),
- 2 cups milk,
- 3 tablespoons condensed milk,
- cardamom powder also some dry fruits(whichever you want)
How to cook
- Heat one tbsp ghee or butter in a pan and add a grated apple in it. Stir well and cook until the moisture in the apple evaporates.
- Take a pan and boil milk in it and let the milk reduce to 3/4 of the original quantity.
- Then add 2 tbsp of condensed milk, Also add sugar if required.
- Add cardamom powder and dry fruits.
- Add the cooked apple in the milk, then mix well. Put the flame off.
- Cool it to room temperature and then refrigerate it. Serve chilled.
5 -Sabudana Kheer For Sharad Purnima.
how to cook:
- Soak sabudana in water for 2-3 hours,
- Drain the water and cook sabudana in milk till it becomes transparent,
- Take ghee in a pan and dry fruits till the colour becomes golden brown,
- Add the dry fruits also cardamom powder to the sabudana-milk mixture,
- Cook it for some time then take it off the heat.
So This are the top 5 recipes for specially Sharad purnima! You can make this at home any time you want. But making this kheer under moon light on 5th Oct 2017(today) will bring lot of happiness, healthiness in your life!
Happy Sharad Purnima!
Also like us on FACEBOOK